Re: Float margin relativity (Was Re: Underhang protection)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:16:54 -0600
To: Daniel Beardsmore <public@telcontar.net>, W3C CSS <www-style@w3.org>

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
> The blockquote normally has a left margin relative to its parent
> container, but when it sits to the right of a float, it doesn't. I would
> guess that there's a nasty hack somewhere for this, too, but IMO a left
> margin on an element to the right of a float, should be obeyed.

The blockquote isn't "to the right of the float".  It's behind the
float.  You can see this easily in a modern UA by setting its margin to
zero and giving it a border color and seeing where the border color
shows up....

If you want to make the blockquote actually be "to the right of the
float", you'd want to give it overflow:hidden or auto as suggested
earlier in this thread....  (Or use UA-specific extensions to CSS, I
suppose).

-Boris