Re: Adaptive size determination

From: Daniel Beardsmore <public@telcontar.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 02:34:54 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:
>> My basic concept is a way to arrange for every item of a given selector to be
>> set to the same size (width, height or both). This allows for beautiful fluid
>> grids that adapt to user preferences as well as a variety of other nice tricks.
>
> This conflicts with the normal implementation of CSS, which is that
> elements look up their CSS, rather than the CSS looks up the elements.
>
> Also, what happens if one li has a higher priority rule.

I don't understand CSS. I've been trying to make sense out of it for several
years. This was always one major reason I never wanted to address my ideas
directly to the W3C, since I knew they'd be rejected for reasons like this one
that I cannot comprehend any way to stand my ground on.

That said, after holding off for years, I decided that I felt strongly enough
about them that despite this forseeable opposition, and the roadblock that
Internet Explorer presents to CSS getting anywhere, I had to make my ideas known.

All I can say is to make of them what you will, but do please, PLEASE consider
the reasoning behind why I made my recommendations.

I DO NOT know the best way to get a fluid grid out of CSS, only that I feel it
extremely important that we put tables for layout well and truly behind us, and
that the layout of a non-structured grid should adapt to both window and font
size, while being as visually presentable as possible.