Re: Generated content via URI

From: Spartanicus <spartanicus.3@ntlworld.ie>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:40:06 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Doing so seems to abandon what I've always held dear as a fundamental
>> principle: that CSS is about presentation only and should be considered
>> 100% optional. Extending it in the way described throws the door wide
>> open to abandon the distinction between content/markup and styling/CSS.
>
>People sometimes use CSS to hide text content and replace it with
>graphical presentations that differ from style to style ("image
>replacement"). If the images cannot be retrieved then nothing would be
>shown at all, because of the styles applied to the original text.

None of the image replacement techniques that I'm aware of [1] use CSS
generated content, the images used are coded as background images which
are not affected by the CSS rule that I'm complaining about.

[1] The most used ones:
http://www.mezzoblue.com/tests/revised-image-replacement/

--
Spartanicus

(email whitelist in use, non list-server mail will not be seen)