Re: Generated content via URI

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:18:05 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Spartanicus <spartanicus.3@ntlworld.ie> wrote on Sun, 31 Dec 2006:

> What is the rationale behind the change in the 2.1 April 2006 draft
> that a UA is no longer required to ignore a URI resource if it cannot
> display it?
>
> Opera currently replaces an image inserted via a CSS generated content
> method with the text "image" when automatic image display is disabled.
> I find this behaviour most annoying.

First, what a UA means by "automatic image display disabled" is not for
CSS to define.

Second, about the text in the spec: although the WG thought that in most
cases it was preferable to display nothing instead of an image that
failed to download, there were people who believed there exist document
formats that rely on images being displayed (no ALT text, e.g.) and in
that case it would be safer to warn the user of a failure.

In CSS3, we plan to extend the 'content' property to a comma-separated
list, so that the style sheet writer controls the fallback, e.g.:
'content: url(danger.png), "Danger!"'. But that's not for CSS2.

I hope this explains the rationale.

Bert