Survival of Styling with Copy and Paste

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:14:36 +0100
To: W3C CSS <www-style@w3.org>

Bert Bos:
> when you copy & paste text of which a part is generated ('content'
> property), do you get the document's text only or also the
> generated text?
>
> Some time ago, the CSS WG also discussed another, similar question:
> if you copy & paste an element that is subject to 'text-transform:
> uppercase', do you get uppercase or the original text?
>
> In both questions, the answer was that that is out of scope.

I thought the answer was very simple, and twofold. If you copy (and
paste) plain text*, no styling is retained whatsoever. If you copy
(and paste) "rich" text, styling is preserved as far as the
application the selection is inserted to supports the styling, so |
text-transform| should survive most of the time, but generated
content is not that much supported elsewhere.
Nevertheless, this is indeed out of the scope of CSS to define.

* Note the border case of plain text as used in e-mail and
newsgroups, there 'font-weight: bold' for instance should be rendered
as asterisks (|*|) before and after the applicable text, likewise
generated and transformed text should be hard-coded.

	Christoph Päper