Re: CSS3 Text - Edit suggestions

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
>fantasai wrote:
>>> 2. Section 4. Line Breaking (minor editing...grammar)
>>>
>>> "For most scripts, in the absence of hyphenation a line break only
>>> occurs at word boundaries. Many writing systems use spaces or
>>> punctuation to explicitly separate words. Normally line break
>>> opportunities can be identified..."
>>
>> ...that seems to imply that standard line breaking in CJK text is
>> abnormal... I'd rather not make this change.
>
> Please look at your grammar and fix it then.

Moved the comma... if that's not what you meant, then please be
more specific--I'm not seeing it. :/

>>> 7. Section 6.2 - Remove "Where do scripts like Tamil fit in?". Tamil and
>>> other similar scripts go under the "clustered" classification.
>>
>> As I said before, I've never seen Tamil justify as "clustered" -- only as
>> inter-word. If you have examples of Tamil justifying as "clustered", then
>> I'll remove the question; otherwise I'd rather leave it as an open issue
>> for now.
>
> your newspaper links show that Tamil has expansion between clusters.

As I explained when I pointed out those examples, they have expansion between
clusters only when there are no spaces to expand. The exact same behavior
occurs in English newspapers. This is the algorithm defined for 'inter-word'.
If Tamil justified like Thai, then we'd see noticeable inter-cluster spacing
on all lines, including those with spaces.

>>> 9. Section 7. Spacing. I find this section confusing. Can you provide an
>>> example to illustrate the usage?
>
> still wondering how the CSS author will have any idea how to set
> the optimum value. Typically the optimal value is the value in the font created by
> the type designer. When letter spacing or word spacing is set a value of
> something like "150%" is normally set by the appication to control the word
> spacing or tracking. I would like for Steve Zilles to chime in here as this
> construct seems cluncky to me.

The optimum value here has the same meaning as the sole value of
'letter-spacing' and 'word-spacing' in CSS previous versions of CSS.

There are three differences from previous versions of CSS:
   a) Percentage values are allowed. These are calculated with
      respect to the width of the space character. Previously
      only <length>s (0.5em, 3px, 1pt) could be specified, none
      of which correlated precisely with the width of characters
      in the font.
   b) CSS3 Text provides syntax for allowing the justification
      algorithm to change the spacing between letters even when
      'letter-spacing' is not set to 'normal'.
   c) It also allows the author to limit spacing adjustments
      due to justification to a specific min/max range.

~fantasai