Re: [CSS3 Text] punctuation-trim

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 07:08:17 +1300
To: "Paul Nelson (ATC)" <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org, WWW International <www-international@w3.org>

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
> If font designers do not follow conventions, their glyph would be
> trimmed out. Thus, CSS should follow JIS and other standards that font
> vendors use.

Paul, that's what we're trying to do, and it should work fine for
Japanese. The problem is that
   a) Simplified Chinese fonts don't always follow the standard in how
      they place punctuation, so if we blindly follow the standard,
      the glyphs in those fonts will get trimmed out. (Also, iirc, the
      standard doesn't say anything about the placement of punctuation
      within the glyph box for vertical text.)
   b) I don't have access to any relevant standards for traditional
      Chinese.

~fantasai