Re: [CSS21] Height of cell box should not be influenced by 'height'

On Friday 2007-12-28 11:16 -0500, L. David Baron wrote:
> I believe this is incorrect and should be changed to:
>
> # In CSS 2.1, the height of a cell box is the minimum height
> # required by the content (MIN).  The table cell's 'height' property
> # can influence the height of the row, but it does not increase the
> # size of the cell box.

This should actually say "height of the cell box" rather than "size
of the cell box".

But actually, one additional change would be needed so that we don't
break row height calculation.  In the previous paragraph, we should
either change:

# MIN depends on cell box heights and cell box alignment (much like
# the calculation of a line box height).

to say:

# MIN depends on cell box heights, the 'height' property of of the
# cells, and cell box alignment (much like the calculation of a line
# box height).

or we should change:

# it is the maximum of the row's specified 'height' and the minimum
# height (MIN) required by the cells

to say:

# it is the maximum of the row's specified 'height', the specified
# 'height's for each of the cells, and the minimum height (MIN)
# required by the cells

I'm not sure which change is better, but there's a difference.  The
latter says that the height on a cell just sets a minimum for a row.
The former implies (but somewhat vaguely, since the sentence is
pretty vague both before and after) that baseline vertical-alignment
can interact with the 'height' property to give a row a taller
height than required by any single cell (just like it can interact
with the minimum content heights of the cells).

It's not clear to me which behavior would make more sense to
authors (unlike in the original issue I'm fixing, where I'm pretty
confidente what I propose makes more sense).  I should probably
write some testcases later to see which is implemented.

-David