RE: Alignment property proposal

fantasai wrote:

> Markus Mielke wrote:
> > *Problem:*
> >
> > Allow centering of content within a containing block. Today, we only
> > have text-align: center available that only applies to text and inline
> > elements. This makes general centering of elements (like images) really
> > difficult.
> >
> > *Proposal: *
> >
> > It would actually be better to create a new property ...
>
> I've written this up for the wiki here:
>    http://csswg.inkedblade.net/ideas/centering
> There are a number of open issues. I'll paste the summary below, with my
> suggestions in **.
>
>     - Whether the property affects the element's alignment within its parent
>       or its descendants' alignment within itself.
>
>         **Proposed that it should affect the element.**

I believe it should only effect the element and should not be inherited. <center> is inherited and does create the need to overrule the alignment further down the document tree. I believe the alignment property proposal should be considered as an option along with float:center as I can see use cases for both.

Alan

http://css-class.com/