From: rocallahan@gmail.com [mailto:rocallahan@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:02 AM
To: Alex Mogilevsky
Cc: www-style@w3.org; Sam Fortiner; Harel Williams; Scott Dickens
Subject: Re: scroll bar size in width calculations

On Dec 22, 2007 9:36 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com<mailto:alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com>> wrote:
However the attached example is rendered identical in all browsers we try. Is there something in the spec that requires subtracting scrollbar width from 'width', or is there language elsewhere which gives UA freedom to do so?

I think that language is the sentence you just quoted: "The space taken up by the scrollbars affects the computation of the dimensions in the rendering model."

Anyway, if anything needs to change here it's the spec, since this is interoperably implemented and authors depend on it working the way it does.

Rob
--
"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?" Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said. [Luke 7:41-43]