Re: standard out of the box (was: IE Blog: Internet Explorer 8 and Acid2: A Milestone)

On Dec 21, 2007, at 9:47 AM, Federico Bianco Prevot wrote:

> I would like to see something that could be added to a CSS file that
> would allow me to specify code for IE6-7 that the standards-based
> browsers (including IE8) wouldn't see, or that would allow standards-
> based browsers to see code that IE6-7 wouldn't see.
>
> you have it already, it's called "Conditional Comments"

Nope. Conditional Comments go in the HTML, not in the CSS file. I
have too many HTML files in too many servers to want to go through
them all adding tags that require me to either put the CSS directly
into the HTML or link to completely different CSS files for each IE
browser in common usage.

Give me conditional comments in CSS instead of HTML, and I will be
much happier. But it would be tricky to do it in such a way that
IE6-7 would see one thing and IE8 and standards-based browsers would
see something else, since IE6-7 don't currently support Conditional
Comments within the CSS file.