Re: standard out of the box

On 21 Dec 2007, at 19:04, Alan Gresley wrote:

>> Not to say this is the greatest way of dealing with things but it
>> does
>> do the trick.
>>
>> When IE8 is released every website I have done in the past 2 years
>> should not have a problem. Unless there is some IE8 specific bugs
>> that I
>> need to worry about. Then I would be adding the next conditional
>> comment
>> in my header.
>>
>> <!--[if IE 8]>
>> 	@import url("/include/presentation/css/ie8.css");
>> <![endif]-->
>>
>> Maybe someone else has a better way of doing this but to me it is
>> simple
>> enough to setup and work with.
>>
>> Barry Rader
>

> This is where I differ. Since IE8 (new layout engine "standards
> mode") is going to be much more of a standard complaint UA, then
> conditional comments in the html must go. I see no place in a html
> document including a doctype where such a trigger could appear.
> Presumably since a standard complaint IE8 is inferring to standard
> compliant CSS, then the rightful place for such a trigger is inside
> a CSS comment. This is something for the IE team to consider since
> what appears inside a comment doesn't really concern the CSS WG
> since what appears outside these comment should be of more importance.

<http://philip.html5.org/data/ccs.html> is a relatively low scale
search for conditional comments, which already clearly shows how many
pages naïvely search for [if IE] which inevitably causes issues for
anything that tries to hack stuff into working in older IE versions.
Surely the easiest solution is to keep standards mode switch as is and
just remove support for conditional comments?

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>