Re: standard out of the box

"Maybe sniffing out * html and *+html or similar in the CSS could also
result in the document displaying in legacy mode."

I personally do not believe that IE8 should not do any css sniffing.

The trigger should remain the same in all cases, "the doctype". When the
doctype is used quirks mode should be off period. If the website is then
broken it is the websites maintainer responsibility in that case. This
is not something new standards mode has been around for a while a
responsible web developer should have accounted for such. This is the
same problem facing HTML5 as well supporting unclosed tag elements for
legacy reasons.

I think the onus here is on the website creators. It should not be on
the browser vendors to fix the workings of peoples non-standard HTML
practises.

I think the solution here should be pretty simple. If there is a doctype
the website author is responsible> If there is no doctype then let the
current quirks mode render it accordingly. No need to give added
functionality to quirks mode leave it alone. Those people currently
developing for quirks mode will have the functionality they currently
know and understand. Those working in standards mode should be
professional about it and take responsibility for their work.

Those working in quirks mode wanting the added functionality of CSS
advancements, will need to learn proper HTML/XHTML and to develop within
standards.

Barry Rader