Re: [css3-background] CSS Drop Shadows

From: John Oyler <johnoyler.css@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:18:46 -0500
Cc: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
To: www-style@w3.org

On Dec 19, 2007, at 1:12 PM, David Hyatt wrote:

> Text-shadow is shadowing some actual drawing.  Box-shadow, though,
> is just a decorative effect around the edges of a box.  I don't
> think they are that similar (other than syntactically).
> Possible new properties that would shadow actual drawing and that
> would behave more like text-shadow include:
> 	shadow - Shadow all drawing done by the object and its descendants.
> 	border-shadow - Shadow actual border drawing (would get messy at
> border corners just as RGBA overlap does)
> 	background-shadow - Shadow actual background drawing (this would do
> more what you want with a partially transparent background for
> example, since the shadow would show through the transparency)

Of these, "shadow" seems to be the least problematic property name.
The other two imply that you could include the shadow's values in a
plain "background" or "border" and expect it to work. I'm not sure
that's possible, wouldn't the parser hiccup when seeing another color
value, or a pair of unit values? Is there some way to delimit it that
I'm not aware of, that could make it non-ambiguous? Or would you just
not have them as part of plain border/background?

John Oyler