Re: [css3-multicol] [css3-grid] and other layout managers

On Dec 14, 2007, at 7:45 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> Think about this: we almost near to have five different background
> drawing methods: nothing(transparent background), solid color,
> gradient, image(that has 5 or so sub methods) and the border-image
> thing.
>
> At least last three conflict with each other.
> Say you have gradient and image defined for the same element.
> Whichever wins? They have to be mutually exclusive.

This one point is not completely true. A background image does not
always repeat, and it is not always 100% opaque. Both GIF and PNG
allow transparent portions to show the solid color fill (background-
color) behind them. I would expect a gradient to show through the
those areas of the image and the areas not covered by the image in
the same way.

> Otherwise redefining solid background color for some element
> requires explicit disabling of all other background attributes like
> images and gradients.

It sounds like you are suggesting to have the 5 methods you mentioned
by all mutually exclusive. But I would prefer to be able to combine
solid with background-image, as we can today. Gradients could be
combined with background-image in the same way.

Disabling the image is only necessary if you no longer want the image
on top of your solid or blended color, so I have no problem with the
way that is already done.

In regards to disabling a gradient to show a solid color, this
becomes a moot point if the gradient is used as a color value. There
is probably no need to have a gradient with translucency in front of
a solid color on the same object, or a solid but translucent color in
front of a gradient on the same object. Which is one reason why the
idea to use a gradient as a color value for background-color, color,
border-color, etc. was so brilliant.