Re: [CSS3 Paged Media] containing block for margin boxes

Grant, Melinda wrote:

> Fantasai said:
>> The containing block for margin boxes is currently undefined.
>> Here's some proposed text:
>>
>>   | The containing block for the corner margin boxes is the rectangle
>>   | defined by the intersection of the two page margins meeting at
>>   | that corner. For all other margin boxes, the containing block is
>>   | the rectangle formed by the page margin area on that side minus
>>   | the containing blocks of the adjacent corners' margin boxes.
>
> "...on that side" isn't very clear.  Maybe "...abutting that edge"...?

Yeah.. how about "on its associated side".. or..

> Also, margin boxes don't straddle the page border, so we need to subtract that out.
>
> Maybe:
>
>   | The containing block for the corner margin boxes is the rectangle
>   | defined by the intersection of the two page margins meeting at
>   | that corner. For all other margin boxes, the containing block is
>   | the rectangle formed by the page margin area abutting that edge minus
>   | the containing blocks of the adjacent corners' margin boxes minus the
>   | sum of the widths of the two page borders orthogonal to this edge.
>
> Does that work?

The best I can come up with is

   the rectangle formed by its corresponding page margin minus the
   containing blocks of the adjacent corners' margin boxes.

Do we really have to subtract out the borders? :( In that case, you
can't just subtract out the widths: a containing block needs a position
as well as a size. so something like

                     For all other margin boxes, the containing block is
   the rectangle formed by the page box's margin and border edges on the
   margin box's side of the page and  page box's padding edges on the
   sides perpendicular to that side.

~fantasai