Re: Parsing media queries

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:37:17 +0200
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style@w3.org
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

On Dec 10, 2007, at 15:41, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:32:01 +0100, L. David Baron
> <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 2007-11-14 18:01 +0200, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>> I agree that it doesn't make sense to allow escapes. After all,
>>> the spec
>>> are Basic Latin identifiers--not arbitrary strings.
>>
>> Have you tested what existing implementations do with character
>> escapes?  (Assuming that those implementations support character
>> escapes in CSS.)  In both media queries in HTML and in CSS?

I hadn't, although I probably should have. My comments about media
query parsing were based on trying to implement parsing from the spec.

> http://tc.labs.opera.com/mediaqueries/parsing/022.htm tests it for
> HTML. Safari 3 supports escaping and Opera 9.5 doesn't.

Thanks. So there's a backwards compat case for not allowing them.

>> The implementation that I'd started to write for Mozilla would have
>> accepted character escapes, although it wouldn't be too much extra
>> work to disallow them in one or both modes.  But I expect
>> implementors may default to accepting them.
>
> I personally was sort of convinced by the argument that HTML
> entities do not work in CSS either.

I can see why escapes would be allowed for on the basis of media
queries being CSS and CSS allowing escapes. However, I also think that
there is no *need* for the CSS escapes in media queries in HTML so for
someone like me who isn't reusing bits of a full CSS parser, the
escapes are work with no real use case besides passing test suites.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi