Re: [Proposal] CSS gradients

On Dec 8, 2007 8:05 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> I think we'll probably leave the gradient definitions with SVG:
> you can use an SVG image to define the gradients

Hi Fantasai,

Yes, SVG is promissing, however it would be interesting not having to
link to an external file and  being able to use gradients (and other
visual effects) only with a style steet. Think about these large
portals that have more than a hundred image files (ie: CNN, Yahoo...).
Each three-way TCP/IP connection to download an image file make the
page rendering slower. If most graphics were created with CSS, and
disn't need an external graphics file, it would load a lot faster, it
would load less the server and it would use less space or files on the
server as well. Think about all these graphics used for round corners,
for shadows, for gradients...If people change them from .png to .svg,
there will be little benefit, other than scalability (which is not
even always needed).
Cheers,

--
Charles A. Landemaine.