Re: css constants

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:40:49 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On Monday 2007-08-27 12:18 -0500, Devi Web Development wrote:
> Please forgive me if this has been discussed extensively before, but a lot
> of people (see below) have talked about it at various points and I haven't
> seen it in any draft; why not have an @variable or @constant that would set
> a constant that could be used as a value?

There are many different ways constants could be used.  A proposal
that would support all of them would be difficult to specify and
difficult to implement.

It might help move this idea forward if somebody compiled a list of
the major use cases for constants and their relative importance.
(Creating additional named colors is a common one given in examples,
but I suspect there are others.)  Knowing what the use cases are is
needed to design such a feature properly.

A wiki page would be a good place to do this.  Do we (the CSS
working group) have a publicly editable wiki yet?

-David