Re: [css3-layout] First :current tab

Bert Bos wrote:
> On Friday 10 August 2007 02:44, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>>    Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see any thing in the CSS3
>> Advanced Layout Module that specifies how to determine the initial
>> :current tab.
>
> The current proposal says that initially the first tab is open, unless
> there is a fragment ID on the URL that points to an element in some
> other tab, in which case that other tab is open. (It is still an open
> question how tabs are printed.)

   Could you quote from the spec where it says this? (Just want to be
sure it's in there, although it's generally a matter of common sense.)

> I also assume, but that is not part of the spec, that after pressing the
> Back button to go back to a page that has tabs, the tabs on that page
> will be open exactly as they were when you left that page.

   That would be consistent with the behavior of most modern browsers.

> Do you think it is necessary to indicate a default tab other than the
> first one?

   It might be necessary to programmatically go to a specific tab
without using URLs, especially if it's an AJAX application.

>> Also, how does one determine which tab is currently
>> selected through scripting? Does one use the CSSOM, or do you use the
>> Selectors API?
>
> I don't know, but I guess there will be a way to check if an element
> matches ':current' or not.

   That really needs to be resolved before the spec goes to a call for
implementation.

> I assume there is also already a function
> that tells you if an element's boxes are (partially) visible, and if
> so, which part. After all, tabs are just one of many ways to hide boxes
> behind other boxes.

   Is a tab "visibility: hidden" or "display: none" when it's not the
current tab? What scripting APIs would one use to determine this?