Re: Re: MQ Aspect Ratio

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 02:53:38 +0200
To: "Paul Nelson (ATC)" <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
Cc: member-cdf@w3.org, timur.mehrvarz@web.de, lbolstad@opera.com

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:47:46 +0200, Paul Nelson (ATC)
<paulnel@winse.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I would like to avoid the term "aspect-ratio" when it refers to width
> and hight of a page, screen or other output. The reason is that there
> are some devices that have non-square aspect ratios. For example, on
> inch could be 72 dots horizontally and 68 dots vertically.

This is actually pretty important for people who are doing advanced
layouts. What we should do about it is another question, and I don't want
to answer it (because it is Saturday night and I am on holidays :) ) but I
think we need to remember that this is not the same as knowing the width
and height in device pixels.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com