[CSS3 Page] Fixed-positioned elements on paged media

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 20:47:51 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

Grant, Melinda wrote:
 > fantasai wrote:
>> I think any fixed-positioned element whose position is outside the
>> initial containing block should not be rendered at all. That's what
>> happens in continuous media.
>
> I agree. There's verbiage in css3-page that allows but does not mandate
> this behavior:
>
> From 3.7:
> "
> This specification does not define how boxes positioned outside the page
> box are handled. Possibilities include discarding them or creating page
> boxes for them at the end of the document.
> "

I think it's perfectly reasonable for absolutely-positioned boxes positioned
off the page to be printed. But I think we should mandate that fixed-positioned
boxes positioned outside the initial containing block are not visible. That's
the case for continuous media already, and the behavior should be consistent.

~fantasai