[css3-multicol] How to avoid scrolling up for next column

From: Jarno Suni <mrlynx@bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:21:57 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

I think "column-count: auto" is a promising option to show same web
content in viewports of different sizes. To ensure that user never has
to scroll up for next column, I think one way is to define a new paged
media type for computer screens (and possibly for handheld devices, too).

The size of a page would have to adapt to the size of viewport
automatically. Maximum length (or height) of a column would be
determined by the available vertical space in viewport. Programmer or
user would specify the preferred column width for easy reading. Ideally,
the column width should depend on font size, I think.

Btw. if programmer used neither styles nor tables, setting the single
column's width should be configurable by user. In my experience, current
browsers do not give good means to adjust viewport width (without
resizing the browser window, which is not a handy way, if there are
several tabs open).

--
Homepage http://www.iki.fi/jarno.suni/