Re: breaking between inline boxes

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 04:21:46 -0500
To: James Justin Harrell <herorev@yahoo.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

James Justin Harrell wrote:
> "If an inline box cannot be split, then the inline box begins in a new line box. If the inline box
> is already at the beginning of a line box, then the inline box overflows the line box."
>
> This would allow all inline boxes to be treated the same, and the only change would be breaks
> inserted between non-replaced elements with display:inline where necessary to prevent overflow.

That would not be compatible with existing content.   As a silly (but not
unknown) example, styling each letter in a word to be a different color (which
basically involves putting each letter in its own span) would mean that
breakpoints could come anywhere in the word, which is clearly not desirable.

I agree that this area of the spec could use clarification, but it should be
clarified to describe the interoperable behavior you described for "current
browsers".

-Boris