Re: CSS Opacity

David Hyatt wrote:
>> You can already either use transparent background images or rgba colors
>> for the background ...

Ah, thanks. Interesting.

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> The one case I could think of is if you defined a solid image as
> background (i.e. without any encoded alpha channel), and then wanted to
> use CSS to set its opacity.

Yes, this is what I tried to do. I suppose that now that IE 7 supports RGBA PNG,
there is no excuse for CSS to work around it. My only objection is that PNG
isn't very efficient on continuous-tone images and the alpha channel bloats the
format more. (The Web image formats leave so much to be desired. Imagine, for
example, if you could assign multiple GIF image colours to varying transparency
levels to get, say, 250 colours plus alpha in a mere 8 bpp for logo edge
anti-aliasing? Or DCT lossless alpha channels on JPEGs, or all sorts :)