Re: CSS Generated content selection

Mike Bremford wrote:

> More to the point, CSS has been a W3C spec for 11 years now and there's
> no reason why even text-only browsers shouldn't support some of it (as
> elinks does, for instance).

Even without constructs that require backtracking, you still need to
have an open element stack conforming to the standard DOM.  I may be
wrong, but I think that, in its real life HTML parsing mode (it also has
  a more SGML conformant one) Lynx doesn't have something that
corresponds to the proper DOM parse.  Even "HTML5" has to use trickery
to create a proper parse tree from real world HTML.

In addition, Lynx is designed to render as it reads and throws away the
information needed to react to complex usages of things like :hover.

The other, and possibly bigger, problem, is that there tend to be no
full time developers for text only browsers, so only small, incremental,
changes can be made.