Re: CSS Generated content selection

From: Daniel Beardsmore <public@telcontar.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:18:15 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Mike Bremford wrote:
> 4. No word on other generated content yet - eg h1::before
> { content:"Chapter" counter(chapter) } - which I hope we're going to
> see more of as CSS3 rolls out. Generated Table of Contents, anyone?

My fear here is that we're going down the route where non-CSS-aware UAs will be
getting an increasingly raw deal. Lynx will put quotes around <q>. Lynx will not
be putting in chapter numbers generated by CSS counters and certainly not
auto-generating tables of contents.

I suppose I would argue that all user agents, visual, text, speech and so forth
alike, should all obey CSS. But we'd still be losing content in those that
presently don't.