Re: CSS Generated content selection

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
>> Okay, it that was a bad guess then. I still think you should though,
>> because this behavior is unexpected and surprising to the user.
>
> It's tough.  In some serialization formats (e.g. text/plain) you might
> want the capitalization from text-transform, and the generated
> content.  In other serialization formats (e.g. text/html) you don't
> want either (but do want to carry over the styling, probably...
> somehow).  But then what happens if I select some HTML and paste it
> into a different HTML document, and only pick up the :before content
> but not the :after content in my selection?  Or if I only seect part
> of the :before content (and maybe some of the actual text)?  How
> should that be copied into a different HTML document?
>
>> That Gecko can't do it with it's current design is a not an excuse.
>
> Sure.  The problem is that it's not clear what the "right" behavior
> is, and hasn't been for at least 8-9 years now.  It's not really worth
> trying to rip up this code until there's a plan for how this should
> work, and there isn't one yet.
FWIW: as a user, I definitely prefer to have WYSIWYG copy-paste; that
is, as a user I don't care (and won't ever care) whether some part of
the text I see was defined as content or style: if I see 2 identically
rendered documents, I do expect identical copy (as there is no mean for
me to distinguish between them, it will be counter-intuitive and
frustrating to have different copy-paste behavior); implications of this
approach are numerous but pretty obvious (I can elaborate if necessary).

Sergey Ignatchenko