Re: CSS Generated content selection

Spartanicus wrote:
> "Patrick Lauke" <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> So you're pointing at the current behaviour of browsers (which I'm arguing here as being flawed) to justify using a workaround? The <q> element unambiguously defines where the quote starts or ends. The browser should present this visually by adding quotes (or guillemets, or whatever depending on language-specific rules). When copy/pasting, this delimitation should also be passed along as part of the plain text. IMO, of course.
>
> As I stated before I consider the current HTML4 spec requirement for <q>
> as a design flaw and I presented a scenario that allows authors to not
> let that flaw affect the content they author today. This scenario allows
> inline quotes to be machine identifiable, it results in quote characters
> being copy'able, and it displays correctly in the current crop of
> browsers.
>
> What is it that you are objecting to?

You see it as a flaw in the spec, I see it as a flaw in current browser
support. So that's what I'm objecting to...we're diametrically opposite
on this one.

>>> Can you present a use case where the distinction is relevant if the
>>> ability to reference by marker is dealt with by including such
>>> references as part of the content proper?
>> I'm not talking about referencing by marker. I'm talking about denoting, in a copy/pasted bit of text, that something was an ordered list rather than an unordered one.
>
> And you get that (and more reliably) when as I suggest the markers are
> included in the content proper.

You could say the same about bulleted list items. Should the bullet be
part of the actual content as well? Is it a flaw in current browsers
that they try to at least put a "*" in front of bulleted list items when
copy/pasting?

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/