Re: Select a parrent node with s CSS selector?

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 00:25:32 -0700
To: "Ilia Goranov" <css-babailiica@babailiica.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ilia Goranov
  To: www-style@w3.org
  Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 11:46 AM
  Subject: Select a parrent node with s CSS selector?

  Hi, as I read the specification proposed for CSS Level 3 I think it is not possible ot create a selector that selects a parent element.

  The next selector will apply to each anchor in hover state which is placed inside a paragraph with a class attribute value set to description, which itself is placed inside division with a class attribute value set to content and the division is first level child element of the body element:

  body>div.content p.description a:hover

  However, if I want to apply the rules not to the anchor element, but to the paragraph - I cant set it in the selector. For example If I want to change the color of the whole paragraph when the anchor element is hovered inside.

  The pseudo classes are only an example. It is possible to set a different background to a list element if there is a image inside.

  My proposal to the working group is to use the "less than" character - closing tag brace to set to which part of the selector the rule have to apply. In the example above:

  body>div.content p.description<a:link

So to find style of p.description CSS engine will need to scan
1) all parents ( for body>div.content )
2) *and* all it is children ( for a:link )

Computational complexity of style resolving is O( n * m * d)  currently
where n - number of DOM elements,
m - number of styles.

Your proposal changes the compelxity to O( n * n * m * d )  that is highly non-desirable as you may expect.

Andrew Fedoniouk.

  This selector have to apply the defined rules not to the anchor element, but to each paragraph element which contains at least one hiperlink.

  I know that the CSS Level 3 is closed, but I hope it is not too late for the proposal, because Level 4 may not be available soon.

  Ilia Goranov