Re: Returning null from ViewCSS.getComputedStyle()

* Cameron McCormack wrote:
>Is it conforming behaviour for a UA to return null from the call to
>ViewCSS.getComputedStyle() if the element is not something that renders?
>For example:
>
>  <svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg'>
>    <abc xmlns='http://example.org/' id='a'/>
>    <script>
>      a = document.getElementById('a');
>      s = document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(a, null);
>
>      // Is s allowed to be null?
>    </script>
>  </svg>
>
>SVG states that subtrees rooted in elements, such as the ‘abc’ element
>above, are never rendered.  Currently, Batik[1] will return null for any
>element that does not derive from SVGStylable, but I’m wondering if that
>behaviour is correct.

Well if the specification is not very clear about that, it will take a
new edition of the Recommendation to give an authoriative answer, but
while returning `null` for Element objects not in the document is quite
sensible, I don't think that is the case for elements in the document.
In the CSS model, there is a computed value for each property on all
elements in the document, and you should be able to query it using this
method.