Re: [CSS21] Make XHTML <body> magic just like HTML <body>

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 07:51:55 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:06:43 +1000, David Woolley
> <forums@david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
>> The structural elements are identified in the style sheet.
>
> Huh?

In order to render the document it should not be necessary to know the
structural significance of the elements; at least that's the ideal.
However, to the extent that the structure affects the presentation, all
the elements need to be identified in a style sheet (which might be
obtained separately from the document, to allow all such documents to be
viewed).

> Domain specific formats would just be converted to HTML. It's already
> being done.

I think you have basically decided that HTML is the presentational
language for XML documents.  In reality that is a hack to make use of
HTML browsers.  I don't believe that was ever the intention behind XML.