Re: [CSS21] Make XHTML <body> magic just like HTML <body>

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:53:13 +0200
To: "Simon Pieters" <zcorpan@gmail.com>, "David Dorward" <david@dorward.me.uk>, www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:24:18 +0200, Simon Pieters <zcorpan@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Special casing the body in HTML is a legacy feature and inconsistent
>> with everything else. Since XHTML is served with a different content
>> type, its the ideal time to eliminate the inconsistency.
>
> I don't particularly like it either, but we're stuck with it for HTML.
> Having differences between HTML and XHTML is confusing for authors.

The rule was introduced as a compromise because of shortcomings in IE 3.
We could declare this as great behaviour, and enshrine it for all
eternity, but let's face it, it is a kludge, and an ugly pockmark on CSS.

When XHTML1 came along the CSS WG rightly saw it as an opportunity to
start phasing out the concept of magic elements. If we are interested in
making HTML and XHTML work consistently, then better to make the
consistent behaviour the simpler, desirable one, and deprecate the concept
of magic elements.

Steven Pemberton