Re: [CSS21] Make XHTML <body> magic just like HTML <body>

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:35:39 +1000
To: "Bert Bos" <bert@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
Cc: zcorpan@gmail.com

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 02:51:28 +1000, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> The CSS WG decided _not_ to change the spec in response to Simon
> Pieters's request[1] to make BODY as special in XHTML as in HTML. (The
> exceptions for HTML are there for historical reasons, they affect other
> elements than BODY, too and we like them to _stay_ exceptions. Our
> impression is that the XHTML WG also doesn't want them to apply to
> XHTML. Also consider that other XML-based formats aren't special
> either, even if if they have a BODY element.)
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Mar/0035.html
>
> (For reference, this is issue 31 in the forthcoming "Disposition of
> Comments.")
>
> Simon, please let us know if you can't agree with this resolution.

I can't. I would like to raise a formal objection against this descision.
I strongly feel that the definitions for 'overflow', 'background' and
tables need to be changed to make those work identically for both XHTML
and HTML. Although I can't speak for them, I'm pretty sure the new HTML WG
would agree.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>