Re: [CSS21] Make XHTML <body> magic just like HTML <body>

From: Simon Pieters <zcorpan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:23:11 +0200
To: "Bert Bos" <bert@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:51:28 +0200, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> The CSS WG decided _not_ to change the spec in response to Simon
> Pieters's request[1] to make BODY as special in XHTML as in HTML.

Ok.

> (The
> exceptions for HTML are there for historical reasons, they affect other
> elements than BODY, too and we like them to _stay_ exceptions.

Indeed. I want them to stay exceptions too (just also apply to XHTML).

> Our
> impression is that the [XHTML2] WG also doesn't want them to apply to
> XHTML.

Indeed.

> Also consider that other XML-based formats aren't special
> either, even if if they have a BODY element.)

I don't see why this is relevant. From an implementors point of view, CSS
operates on the DOM, not on the serialization. HTML and XML can produce
pretty much equivalent DOM trees, and while some differences are required
(e.g. case sensitivity on type selectors), others can be avoided. Why
*should* XHTML be different from HTML where they *could* be the same?

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Mar/0035.html
>
> (For reference, this is issue 31 in the forthcoming "Disposition of
> Comments.")
>
> Simon, please let us know if you can't agree with this resolution.

I can't agree with this resolution.

Regards,
--
Simon Pieters