Re: [css3-multicol] should 'column-count' accept negative values?

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 00:58:28 +0200
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach L. David Baron:

 > The current definition of 'column-count' [1] describes a property
 > that accepts any <integer> values.  Since negative values (and
 > zero?) aren't meaningful, I think the property should be revised so
 > that they are syntax errors that cause the declaration to be
 > dropped.

I agree that negative valued don't make sense. The same can be said
for widows and orphans, but we don't disallow negative values for
those:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-CSS21-20061106/page.html#propdef-orphans

Perhaps we should. For other properties, we say (in prose) that
"negative values are not allowed":

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-CSS21-20061106/visudet.html#propdef-line-height

Do you propose to address this the same way? That is, by adding prose?

-h&kon