Re: [CSS21] contradiction regarding blocks with clear at the end of a block

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 15:05:51 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On Thursday 2007-03-29 16:29 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> However, the definition of the height of a block in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-CSS21-20061106/visudet.html#normal-block
> contradicts this:
> # If it has block-level children, the height is the distance between
> # the top border-edge of the topmost block-level child box that
> # doesn't have margins collapsed through it and the bottom
> # border-edge of the bottommost block-level child box that doesn't
> # have margins collapsed through it.
>
> I think the correct fix for this problem would be to change the last
> sentence of the paragraph that I quote from 10.6.3 somehow to
> reflect that the height also ends at the bottom margin edge of the
> bottommost child if the clause from 8.3.1 quoted above is being
> applied.

To be more specific, I would propose changing the sentence that
says:

  # Similarly, if the element has a non-zero bottom padding and/or
  # bottom border, then the content ends at the bottom margin edge
  # of the bottommost child.

to instead say:

  # Similarly, if the bottom margin of the block does not collapse
  # with the bottom margin of its last child, then the content ends
  # at the bottom margin edge of the bottommost child.

-David