Re: [CSS3 Text] a new property for text-decoration,

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:52:32 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

David Latapie:
> I know text-decoration had not been evaluated yet. I also know of
> the 2002 draft (<http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-text-20020515/
> #text-underline-props>) but I post know regarding a new property.
>
> Good typography software (but OS X’s TextEdit too!) are able to
> break the underlining when it crosses a descender (g, j, p, q, y)

Good typography does not need underlined text. ;)

The Working Draft dated 26 February 2003 had values for the |text-
underline-mode| property and related ones, although with improvable
names ('skip-glyph', 'skip-glyph-and-space').
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-text-20030226/#text-decoration-mode>

The Candidate Recommendation from 14 May 2003 removed the two
relevant values, leaving 'continuous' and 'skip-white-space'. The
keyword 'words' from the 2002 WD though looks much better to me than
'skip-white-space'.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-text-20030514/#text-decoration-mode>