Re: [css3-selectors] :parent selector

From: Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:04:50 +0300
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, www-style@w3.org

Le Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:02:51 +0300, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> a
écrit:

> Mihai Sucan wrote:
>> "Heavily styled" as in, do they rely on styling to present their
>> documents? AFAIK the MySQL manual is almost the same with or without
>> styling - thus the document styling is irrelevant (optional).
>
> So you're suggesting that CSS not be applied over some Content-Length?
> Or what?
>
>> UIs are by default "heavily styled", but they are much smaller in size,
>> causing a much smaller performance hit with parent selectors. An UI is
>> no longer the same UI without CSS.
>
> Again, I fail to see your point.  Are you proposing that parent
> selectors be available in some documents but not others?
>
> -Boris

No. I was suggesting that the parent selectors could not be applied at
all, only at the end, without getting in the way of normal incremental
rendering - performance-wise. I was also saying the algorithm for applying
these selectors can be entirely different, specifically optimized for such
needs.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future