Re: [css3-selectors] :parent selector

From: Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:47:28 +0300
To: "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Le Mon, 25 Sep 2006 04:45:15 +0300, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> a écrit:

> I'd say use a class attribute on your image links and spare yourself the
> lousy page performance of a parent selector. :)  The class attribute is
> so useful at obviating the need for all these fancy selectors and will
> perform better in any modern browser than all these more advanced
> selector alternatives.  Maybe some people view this kind of class
> attribute document pollution as a bad thing, but it allows for simpler
> rule construction and much better performance.
>
> I suppose you might counter that this kind of rule would be useful in a
> user stylesheet, but user stylesheets are only interesting to the
> 0.000001% of the browser user population that understand CSS well enough
> to construct and apply them. :)
>
> dave

I agree with Patrick.

I see a conflict here between "efficient CSS" (using only classes and IDs,
divs and spans where needed) versus clean markup (no classes/IDs, no
useless divs/spans).

In this "conflict" for me clean markup is the one that rocks my boat. I
have switched from tables to CSS for this sole purpose. I was "happy" with
the layouts and designs I was able to do with tables, but I didn't like
the markup. Now I want CSS to do all that (and some more) with no tag soup.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future