RE: [css3-selectors] :parent selector

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:32:39 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>

> David Hyatt

> I'd say use a class attribute on your image links and spare yourself
> the lousy page performance of a parent selector. :)
> it allows for simpler rule construction and much better performance.

This argument can pretty much be made for *all* complex selectors. nth child, only-of-type, etc.
Does that mean they should all be abandoned in favour of simply putting the burden on document authors to properly class the stuff they want styled a particular way?

> I suppose you might counter that this kind of rule would be
> useful in
> a user stylesheet, but user stylesheets are only interesting to the
> 0.000001% of the browser user population that understand CSS well
> enough to construct and apply them. :)

Don't confuse the usefulness of user stylesheets with the lousy, propeller-head implementation of them. If browsers would offer a system whereby user styles could be downloaded (from a repository site, similar to what happens with Firefox themes/extensions), added, activated, switched to, etc without requiring user to actually know CSS itself, I'd posit that uptake would be a lot higher. Don't provide inadequate solutions and then moan that users aren't taking advantage of them...

Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor
External Relations Division
University of Salford