bidi-override scope in CSS2 and CSS 2.1

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:57:15 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

Suppose my stylesheet says that where I have dir="rlo" I apply a bidi override to my (say) XHTML2 text.

CSS 2 says:

"If the element is inline-level or a block-level element that contains only inline-level elements, this creates an override."

Does that mean that none of the text in this example below actually has the bidi algorithm overridden?

CSS 2.1 says:

"For inline-level elements this creates an override. For block-level, table-cell, table-caption, or inline-block elements this creates an override for inline-level descendents not within another block-level, table-cell, table-caption, or inline-block element."

Does that mean that only the text "Inline only text." in this example below actually has the bidi algorithm overridden?

Thanks for clarification.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead