position / size arithmetic?

From: Jeremy Nicoll <jrnicoll@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:15:39 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org

3, but is there a way to do the following? Say I have a picture that is
50px high, and I want it exactly centered horizontally.  I would like to
be able to do something like this: 50% - 50px.  This is not the only
scenario in  which  I wish I could mix and match different types of
measurements to come to a specific location or dimension.  Especially
with the standard box model, it would be great to specify a width like:
100% - 10px, where the border of the box is 5px.  This way one could
ensure that the box (including borders) would be 100% of the containing
container.

Thank you,
Jeremy Nicoll
www.SeeMySites.net