Re: CSS color palettes

Garrett Smith escribió:
> I hear you, Damian.
>
> A "maroon" and color00 are not semantic. .
>
> I prefer not "maroon", but instead "header-border-color". That way,
> you know what it's applied to.
>
> What you've done is added an extra layer of abstraction. e.g. "here is
> my color palette, not saying what it will be used for, color00 is
> def'd with a value (#800) and a name ("maroon").
Yes, that is precisely my intention. To create a new layer of
abstraction for color. To separate color from content.
In practical terms it means that you can change the color of the content
as you wish.
The creation process will be made in layers: first put (get in the case
of the user agent) content, then style it, then color it.
My intention is to find a way to recolor it without re-styling it. If
you have low vision, or are color-blind you can re-color the content
without re-styling it. You can create several color palettes for
low-vision or color-blind people, black and white for B&W printers or
different sections of the site, if you wish. The browser may get the
style once and then change the color accordingly.
As I told before, I'm not a programmer, but I belive it will be more
efficient to get the style once and then the color and keep the colors
sepparated from the style in order to recolor it if you want to re-use
the style but not the color.

> You have to maintain the keyword name and the hex value in parallel,
> and this is not good.

There's no need to keep them in parallel. You can get rid of the keyword
(in wich case the value is ignored and the defaul browser color is
used), re-define the keyword, asign the keyword to another pre-defined
color, etc.
I'm sure a better syntax for the palette is needed.
> Instead, you can just define colors separately. It is annoying, but
> makes skinning more modular. All you have to do is change the CSS file
> and you're done.\
>
> This approach is cumbersome, but actually works farily well:
>
> .header-border-color, form-border-color {
>     border-color: #800;
> }
>
> .header-background-color {
>     background-color:
> }
>
> The important thing is to be semantic because otherwise, you get
> confused. I once worked on a project where everything was like ".c4-bk
> { color: #7898f9; }" I'm sure it made sense to the guy who wrote it.
> That was annoying....
>
> Garrett
Yes, I'm trying to think a way to make it more consistent. But frankly,
not all header-border-colors are always the same color, you are probably
talking about the header-border-color of the element identified as
"#logo", or the header-border-color of the "#news-title" element. Both
may be "red" or not. You can define them using a color definition or an
existing keyword.Why not give the designers tha ability to expand that
keyword palette or pre-define colors?
I think "color01" id pretty semantic, independently of it's color
definition or keyword.
I hope you understant what I'm trying to say. I know we designers are
not always very logic. :-)
Thanks for your reply.