Re: CSS color palettes

David Woolley escribió:
>> If you want to read an argument for its use you can browse to my blog:
>> http://damianvila.wordpress.com/2006/10/23/css-color-palettes-2/
>>
> You need to give the essence of the use case here; some people read
> mail offline.
You are right. Sorry for the inconvenience.
This is the rationale behind the proposed idea. Keep in mind that it was
taken from a blog intended for graphic and web designers:
"One of the best features of CSS is implied in its own name: cascading.
It means that, if you change a style definition, all elements of a page
that have that style applied will change at the same time in a “cascade”.
As recomended by ths W3C designers must not rely on color alone to
convey information. That’s a reasonable recomendation that we designers
must always follow.
As you designers probably know, we use to work with color palettes.
Usually a documents has a previously decided range of colors, often
limited to just a few, that we use throughout the document. In DTP
applications we define this color palette and use it to apply color to
the different styles in use. In that way, if we want to change the color
scheme, we just have to redefine the color palete and the change is
applied to all the elements that use that colors in the document, giving
the document a different feeling. In the same way, we can use the same
style but different colors for different document sections. But in CSS,
if you want to do that you have to creave a whole new style sheet, doing
a “find & replace” all over the CSS to change the color definitions.
That’s why I’d like to see CSS Color Palettes implemented in CSS3. In
that way colors can cascade the same way other styles do.just by
specifying a new sub-palette´. You can use the same CSS for different
sections, or you can use the same font size, face, etc. but change the
overall feeling by just changing the colors in an easy way."
I hope this clarify the idea.
Also, remember that I'm a graphic designer, so my programming knowledge
is very low. I was counting with the rest of the community to: 1) tell
me if the idea was feasible and 2) propose the proper syntax.
Thanks.