FW: bidi-override scope in CSS2 and CSS 2.1

From: Paul Nelson (ATC) <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:11:38 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>

I responded to the mail on 19 September with following:

Actually, because 'unicode-bidi' is not inherited, the output would be
right aligned as below:

                    txet enilni emoS

enil rehtona no txet enilne erom dna

                 A paragraph of text

               txet enilni erom emoS

I would assume that the contents of the block level element could be
marked up as Richard indicated. The <bdo> is defined as an in-line
element. However, the intent with CSS should be to affect the content of
any element.

What will XHTML2 do if CSS is not present? In HTML we recommend that
people use dir and <bdo> instead of stylesheet in case the stylesheet is
not applied when bidi markup is important.

The dir property in HTML 4.01 only has ltr | rtl. The example given has
"rlo". From point of view the dir property should never have the "lro"
or "rlo" meaning. Those are behavior overrides and are not things that
should be encouraged for normal document behavior. We have spent many
years to try to move away from visual Hebrew. Let's encourage people to
use Unicode in logical order and avoid having to do this kind of
behavior...except as needed to support legacy documents.

Regards,

Paul