Re: [css3-page] fit:hidden

L. David Baron wrote:
> What is the use case for the 'hidden' value of the 'fit' property in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-css3-page-20061010/#the-fit ?  It
> doesn't particularly seem to fit with the other values.  In
> particular, I'm worried that its main use case is something that
> should be in the content rather than the presentation -- using the
> property to designate (along with 'fit-position') a particular
> region of the image to be used rather than the entire image.
>
> I suggest this value be dropped.

I can see use cases for this value. It would allow, for example, the
presentation of a full-size image inside a fixed-size scrolling box
without having to add extra elements around the image.

Actually, what might be more interesting would be to replace 'none'
with <percentage>, where <percentage> displays the image at a percentage
of its intrinsic size. We currently don't have a way to say "display
this at half its actual size". I imagine a lot of online catalogs and
such would find such controls very useful for creating zoomable visuals.

> But I'd like to see a mechanism for specifying image slices added to
> the content, background-image, and list-style-image properties.

That could be useful, especially, I'd imagine, when trying to reduce
networking conversations on sites with a lot of icons. I think that
would belong in the Values and Units draft, though.

~fantasai