Re: [selectors] History of suggestions (was: New pseudo-class proposal: ":current")

From: David Latapie <david@empyree.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:15:39 +0200
Cc: "'Orion Adrian'" <orion.adrian@gmail.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
To: <rahlfors@wildcatsoftware.net>

Le 13 oct. 06 à 20:26, Rainer Åhlfors a écrit :

> How on earth would CSS know that a link points to the current page? We
> already know that the URL cannot be used as the identifier, as URLs
> can be
> rewritten (and frequently are), query strings change. Certainly it
> has to be
> an exact match, as any given URL with different arguments passed to
> it can
> open up a completely different page.
> Yes, I think it is a great idea. But it cannot work in any real world
> implementation. As such, it will never become part of the CSS
> standard, or
> else it would be already.

I don't know if the message was originally addressed to me. It seems,
since I'm in cc, but on the other hand, you said the same thing as
me: hard the implement. Well, anyway...

> Don't you think that this was considered way back when :active :hover
> :visited and :link were cooked up?

Maybe it was, but where can I see it? How can I know that something
had already been discussed? In the archives, maybe? Ten years of
archives? Thounsands of messages just to know if it had been already

Certainly, we would gain a lot of time if such a thing was available.
And would prevent ad nauseam arguments.

http://blog.empyree.org/   U+0F00