Re: [selectors] New pseudo-class proposal: ":current"

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@alastc.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:01:49 +0100
To: W3C CSS <www-style@w3.org>

Matthew Raymond wrote:
> The main argument there is that the user expects the link to take
> them to a different page, whereas linking to the page you're on doesn't
> do that.

Yep, In usability testing I've seen people re-load the same page several
times without realising it was the current page, even when highlighted
and styled differently from the rest of the links. (Both in main
navigation bars and related links lists.)

> This really isn't an argument against :current because the
> pseudo-class allows you to style such links in a manner that allows
> people to identify that the link is to the current page.

For situations where you don't have styling (screen readers for
example), the structure should be appropriate. Using a non-link also
prevent user error.

Kind regards,

-Alastair