Re: [css3-selectors] :parent selector

From: Richard York <richy@smilingsouls.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 09:36:14 -0400
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <www-style@w3.org>

On 9/26/06 2:16 AM, "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> CSS, what about using a parent selector in something like a future
>> getElementsBySelector() method in script?
>
> Wouldn't get elements by XPath expression be more appropriate, and already
> implemented on many platforms.

Sorry for the belated reply.  Well, Anne van Kesteren is already well
underway in specifying a Selectors API [1], though the methods in his WD are
called matchAll() and matchSingle(), rather than getElementsBySelector().

Anyway, while a parent/ancestor selector may not be technically feasible for
incremental rendering CSS, it would be absolutely feasible, and expected, in
a Selectors API, since there are no incremental rendering issues there, and
at least setting aside the syntax for that purpose, I think, is a good
thing.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-selectors-api-20060926/

Regards,
Richard York